RIDGE MEADOWS HOSPICE SOCIETY
Coordinator of Palliative Support Services
Responsible To: Executive Director
Hours of Work: Flexible – day, evenings and weekends, up to 35 hours per week
The Coordinator of Palliative Support Services is responsible for the administration, coordination, training and support for the Visiting Volunteer program. This includes managing volunteers and support programs in patient’s homes, the hospital, hospice residence, and long term care facilities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promotes the philosophy, values and Mission of the Society
- Works with, and communicates effectively with staff, volunteers, Board of Directors, community agencies, organizations, Fraser Health teams and other professionals.
- Fosters the growth of a dedicated team to ensure cohesion and good morale within the Society.
- Provides a written report to the Executive Director prior to monthly board meetings.
- Organizes, coordinates and manages the various components of volunteer and end-of-life programs.
- Effectively manages risk and conflict resolution.
- Must be reliable, flexible and maintain confidentiality of information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Volunteer Program – General:
- Evaluates and develops programs to meet the changing needs of the community and the Society.
- Develops and conducts a yearly review of program goals, objectives and outcomes. in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Processes referrals via phone consultation or initial home/site visits and assigns volunteers according to established guidelines.
- Gathers and maintains accurate statistics on all program activities, including monthly referrals, assignments and numbers of volunteers assigned.
- Assists in the planning and organization of program events, i.e. Time to Remember
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteer Program – Development for Visiting Volunteers:
- Provides leadership and support to volunteers in their role with patients and their loved ones.
- Develops and maintains a system for recruitment, including networking with outside organizations.
- Evaluates volunteer performance and satisfaction annually; ensures volunteer profiles are up-to-date.
- Ensures continuing education opportunities for volunteers.
- Facilitates support meetings for volunteers on a monthly basis.
- Consults with Executive Director of any proposed changes/additions to policies and procedures as warranted.
- Maintains policies and procedures manual for volunteers.
- Plans, prepares, and re-evaluates training material in conjunction with the Executive Director.
- Networks with other societies and attends quarterly coordinators meetings.
- Is a member of the Ridge Meadows Palliative Care team and Home Care Nurses liaison: Attends team meetings and Hospice rounds.
- Works in close collaboration with community agencies and palliative care providers.
- Coordinates referrals and manages client cases; follows patient when appropriate.
- Promotes the philosophy, Mission, funding and support programs offered by the Society through community education presentations and workshops.
- Provides input on purchases and expenditure to the Executive Director and Designated/Donated Funds committee.Provides input for the Society’s newsletter (The Dove)
Qualifications & Experience:
- Recognized degree or diploma in social sciences, nursing or health sciences.
- Certificate in Volunteer Management or extensive volunteer management experience.
- Medical terminology an asset.
- Volunteer management, and/or health services/health sciences with background in hospice/palliative care.
- 5 years’ experience in the non-profit sector, preferably hospice related.
- Computer literacy including Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strong oral, written and public speaking abilities.
- Valid B.C. driver’s license and reliable transportation required.
- Ability to multi task efficiently and effectively, excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to problem-solve and manage conflict effectively and in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Excellent facilitation skills.
Terms of Employment:
Remuneration dependent on qualifications and experience
Satisfactory criminal record check must be provided on commencement of employment
Satisfactory professional reference checks will be completed prior to employment
To Apply: Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will be open until filled. Interested applicants please submit your resume and cover letter immediately. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. No Phone calls please.
Job Type: Full-time
The Ridge Meadows Hospice Society is NOT actively recruiting foreign workers. We will never ask job applicants to send money as part of the job application process. Our community programs, unless otherwise noted, are free of charge to attend. Should you receive an email, text or other communication similar to that described above, contact your local police station or anti-fraud agency.